Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

(do) things own us (?)

I remember when I was a bit younger. Money was not all that important for me. I mean, ok, if I had any I would be happy, spend then, end of story. If I didn't have the money, it was not such a big deal.
These days I caught myself thinking what would happen if I had no more money and at first I thought it's something really bad. Then I started comparing my situation now with my own situation a while ago, when I didn't care about this. What is the difference? I guess back then I had nothing to lose. I had nothing of my own. I was living with my parents, loaning their car when I needed one, eating from the fridge and so on. This is a pretty happy and careless life, I guess everybody could agree.
And now.. now it seems that I have more: a car of my own, a place to live, a fridge which occasionally becomes empty if there is no refill. Anyway, you know, everything from the movies: "Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players".
Ok, so I have all these but now I worry that maybe someday I would not have enough money. Enough money for what?
After careful deliberation the verdict is the following: I would not have money to buy gas for the car, to repair it, to fill the fridge, to pay for electricity for that TV and so on. All the things I own get back to me. It's like a revenge of the undead, the revenge of the things I own against myself. I started to think that actually these things own me, not the other way around. They don't have to go to work every day to earn money for me, instead I end up waking up each morning.
The solution to this problem was presented in a movie some time ago. If you blow everything up, then the problem is gone. Then you can start your own secret club where people meet to beat each other up. And you get to make up stupid rules like: "The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Fight Club".

No comments:

Post a Comment